We are in the process of searching for a full-time Minister of Children or Children's Ministry Director. If you are interested in applying, please e-mail your resume to SearchTeam@HPBCHanahan.com.
Highland Park Baptist Church is a church that is striving to fulfill the mission God has given us. We are located just outside of Charleston, SC in Hanahan. Highland Park is a theologically conservative Southern Baptist Church with a desire to build our methodology in a way that helps us accomplish our mission of glorifying God, making disciples, and loving others.
Our current pastor, Dr. Jeremy Wallace, was called to the church in October of 2016. God has blessed us over the past several months by allowing us to see our average Sunday morning attendance increase from 254 in 2016 to over 307 so far in 2017. We currently have both a traditional and a contemporary service on Sunday mornings. The contemporary service runs about 100 in attendance while the traditional service runs about 210. While we desire growth in both services, we are strategically making adjustments to help fuel growth in our contemporary service.
We believe that God has not called us to do everything, but what we do must be done with excellence. As we look toward the future, we are committed to reaching our community and the world with the message of Christ.
We currently have 5 full-time staff members (Senior Pastor, Youth Pastor, Latchkey Director, Ministry Assistant, and Custodian) and two part-time staff members (Contemporary Worship Leader, and Traditional Worship Leader). In addition, we have 12-14 part-time employees in our LatchKey Afterschool Program.
Our pastor is in the process of casting a vision for our church that is rooted in understanding the mission God has given us as a church. We are excited to bring an additional staff person on board to help us pursue that mission.
About our Current Children’s Ministry
There are several facets to the Highland Park children’s ministry.
LatchKey Afterschool Care: This ministry is led by a director and 12-14 part-time employees. Currently we have over 140 kids involved in this ministry. (95% are not affiliated with our church.)
Children’s Choirs: We have two children’s choirs. Our preschool choir has its own director and volunteer base. It has over 40 children involved each week, throughout the school year. Our elementary choir has its own director and volunteer base as well. It has over 40 kids. (70% are not affiliated with our church.)
HOOPS: This is our version of Upward. We have over 200 students involved in K4-7th grade. (85% are not involved in our church.)
VBS: We normally have around 150 kids involved each year.
We also have Sunday School, children’s church and a Wednesday evening RA & GA kids program.
About the Position
HPBC believes whole-heartedly in the investment in today’s children. Our desire is to partner with parents in the discipleship of our children by building a children’s ministry that is gospel-centered, substantive, creative, culturally up-to-date, dynamic, and consistent.
The Children’s Pastor or Director at Highland Park will:
- Be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our churches children’s ministry from birth through 5th grade
- Provide visionary, energetic, creative, and organized leadership to the department and its team
- Build from the ground up, rebrand, and coordinate all aspects of our children’s ministry
- Ensure that the children’s ministry mirrors and helps accomplish the vision and mission of our church
- Work with the Children’s Ministry Council and report directly to the Senior Pastor
Success in this role will be determined by the following:
- Having all aspects of our children’s ministry coordinated and working together to accomplish the mission of the church
- Having a system in place to recruit and train volunteers
- Having a renovated and updated children’s ministry space
- Having visitors view the children’s ministry of Highland Park as a fun, energetic, biblically-rooted, up-to-date avenue of discipleship
- Having a rejuvenated children’s program
What We are Searching For/Qualifications
- A believer in Christ who is passionate about serving in His church
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is required, although a seminary or Master’s degree would be preferred, but not required.
- Experience (preferably 3-5 years) in leading or working in a multi-pronged children’s ministry in a Baptist Church
- A willingness to build a dynamic children’s ministry from the ground up which could include making changes to current (long-standing) programs
- Understand the current role of Children’s Ministry in the local church
- Passionate about the evangelism and discipleship of children and families
- The ability to organize, build, and implement systems to accomplish ministry goals
- Possess the ability to recruit, train, and work well with volunteers & church members
- Willingness to work with other staff to accomplish the vision and mission of the church
- Understanding of children’s safety and security in the context of a church
- Knowledge of challenges to special needs children
- Desire to pursue quality, professionalism, and excellence in all that we do
- Knowledge of best practices for communicating with children and their families (verbal, written, social media, web page, text, etc.)
- Possess basic understanding of and ability to use technology in the administration of a children’s ministry program (webpage, databases, mail merge, social media)